i just read this on our yahoogroups and it's a very inspiring story by the columnist, Max V. Soliven about his encounter with a certain Alex Lacson, a writer with this book (as titled in this blog) about what every filipino can do to help our country..
as a Filipino, I am proud to say that I haven't had a single thought of leaving our country and working abroad.. my friends could attest to that, wala akong ambisyon umalis ng bansa.. feeling ko talaga, meh pag-asa pa itong bansa naten.. But I am ashamed to admit that after watching Dubai (hahahaha jologs) parang gusto ko ng umalis dito at lumipat dun.. pero after reading this, i think, it's a sign from God to remind me to love my country.
excerpt from Alex Lacson's book:
1) Follow traffic rules. Follow the law.
2) Whenever you buy or pay for anything, always ask for an official
3) Don't buy smuggled goods. Buy local. Buy Filipino. (Or, if you read
book, he suggests: 50-50).
4) When you talk to others, especially foreigners speak positively
and our country.
5) Respect your traffic officer, policeman and soldier.
6) Do not litter. Dispose your garbage properly. Segregate. Recycle.
7) Support your church.
8) During elections, do your solemn duty.
9) Pay your employees well.
10) Pay your taxes.
11) Adopt a scholar or a poor child.
12) Be a good parent. Teach your kids to follow the law and love our
These are the 12 things every Filipino can do to help our country. At first blush, they seem simple. When you study them more closely, they are difficult to do. But all of us, together can do them.
Full Article is here.