Saturday, May 28, 2005

...food for the brain and soul

my sister, ate ging's favorite book is The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz.. I think i've ATTEMPTED to read this book at least 3 times.. try reading the first few chapters of the book and you'll understand.. (it's confusing) anyway, when i was assigned to ORTIGAS agency last friday, i brought a book with me since I would be staying (read: tambay) there for tech support and the 4 Agreements book was pretty small and was the only book that would fit my teeny bag.. I decided to skip the chapters that were slowing me down and went on to the The First Agreement chapter.. I'm not notorious in doing that, in fact, i always read every single word in every book (unlike my sister chary who skips the boring parts) but this time, i'm verrrry glad that i did skip it 'cause I would be missing A LOT now... I just would like to share what i've read..

The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom

1. BE IMPECCABLE WITH YOUR WORD
Speak with integrity. Say only what you mean. Avoid using the word to speak against yourself or gossip about others. Use the power of your word in the direction of truth and love.

... this is probably the hardest agreement among the 4.. it's so fun to gossip and easy to be rude.. I keep forgetting about this one.. I'm still trying my very best though..

2. DON'T TAKE ANYTHING PERSONALLY
Nothing others do is because of you. What others say and do is a projection of their own reality, their own dream. When you are immune to to the opinions and and actions of others, you won't be the victim of needless suffering.

... i know i should know this, but just reading it and realizing it makes all the difference... even if someone said to me, "i hate you!".. it's not REALLY ME! it still has something to do with their own life, their own experiences, their own expectations that made the person say that.. so as cher says,...WHATEVER.

3. DON'T MAKE ASSUMPTIONS
Find the courage to ask questions and to express what you really want. Communicate with others as you can do avoid misunderstandings, sadness and drama. With this just one agreeement, you can completely transform your life.

... i did this just last week, when the company not be named called Raymond first.. I freaked out! I locked myself in the CR and I totally became melodramatic.. then when i went back to my desk, Raymond told me that the HR head called while i was out.. turns out I too was scheduled for an interview.. so there, lesson learned. no more drama for me... and It applies to ANY situation.. stop the drama until you really know the facts.

4. ALWAYS DO YOUR BEST
Your best is going to change from moment to moment, it will be different when you are healthy as opposed to sick. Under any circumstance, simply do your best, and you will avoid self-judgment, self-abuse and regret.

... i hope you guys find these 4 agreements as liberating as I do.. already, i'm feeling it.. feeling the effects, just by following just 1 agreement, it made me feel free and alive again.. sounds too good to be true, right? just try it.. you won't lose anything in trying..

good luck to us!!

ps.
just bought One Tree Hill's - OST.. i absolutely loooove Gavin Degraw... and Yey to Carrie!!! can't believe I like COUNTRY now.. who would've thought.. (i'm still buying Bo's CD, if ever...)

No comments: